This week, I’ve moved the goody-bag to Thursday because tomorrow is the first day of Diwali, and I’m dedicating the post to that. So in the spirit of finding fun things on the internet, here are a few for this week:
- The Asia Society is a pan-Asian organization working to strengthen relationships and promote understanding among the people, leaders, and institutions of the United States and Asia. On Monday, they honored Ravi Shankar with the Cultural Legacy Award.
- Remember when I mentioned the Los Angeles reception of the group Far East Movement a few weeks back? They were on Jay Leno last night, which you can watch via Angry Asian Man.
- Michelle Norris from All Things Considered chats with singer, Buika, from Mallorca. Buika started out as a Tina Turner impersonator in Vegas! You can get Buika’s music at emusic. With emusic, you can get 25 free songs and support HotHouse too!
- A new Brazilian sensation, Luisa Maita! Her Chicago debut will be at the Logan Square Auditorium on November 13 and you can get her music on emusic also! Remember: 25 free songs and support HotHouse! Incidentally, Microfundo is also giving away lots of free songs – check out the website!
- I love Janelle Monae! Here’s an interview with her.
- Check out this extremely cool Yemeni Blues artist: Ravid Kahalani
- Enjoy some Soul Train with this piece from NPR
- I am taking this opportunity to shamelessly advertise our show, APA Compass on KBOO 90.7 FM, in which we discuss the role of Asian/Pacific-Americans in the media. Tune in (or online stream in) at 9 am PST (that means 11 am for Chicagoans) Friday, November 5th! You might recognize the voice!
That’s all for now. Enjoy the goodies!